How To Protect Concrete Driveway In Winter In Lakeside Ca?
Concrete driveways are popular for their durability, affordability and aesthetically pleasing look. Unfortunately, winter can be hard on concrete driveways as snow and ice accumulate throughout the season. The following tips will help protect your driveway from winter damage and keep it looking great year-round:
- Being proactive about removing snow and ice from your driveway is key to protecting its surface. Invest in a durable snow shovel or invest in a quality snow blower to quickly remove any accumulation before it has time to cause damage.
- Sealing your concrete after installation is essential for protecting it against winter damage; this process prevents water penetration which can lead to cracking and shifting of the concrete during cold temperatures.
- When removing snow from your driveway, it’s important to use an environmentally safe deicer like calcium chloride or sodium chloride to help melt any remaining ice and prevent further accumulation.
- Sprinkling sand or cat litter onto your concrete before the winter season begins can provide traction when driving or walking on icy surfaces. This will also reduce slipping hazards for you and guests alike!
- If you find yourself dealing with large amounts of ice buildup in hard-to-reach areas, carefully chip away at them using an ice pick. Do not use sharp tools such as knives as this could cause further damage to the concrete surface.
- Fixing any cracks or divots in your driveway before winter hits is essential for preventing further damage from occurring throughout the season. Seek professional help if needed.
- If you live in a particularly snowy area, consider covering your driveway with tarps or plywood boards to prevent additional snow accumulation. This will reduce shoveling and deicing efforts as well!
What Time Of Year Is Best To Seal Concrete Driveway?
The best time to seal a concrete driveway is in the summer when temperatures are warm and rain is scarce. Sealing your driveway just before winter arrives can help protect it against harsh weather conditions and minimize any repair work you might have to do in the future.
What Ice Melt To Use On Concrete Driveway?
When removing snow from your driveway, it’s important to use an environmentally safe deicer like calcium chloride or sodium chloride to help melt any remaining ice and prevent further accumulation. Do not use products that contain ammonium nitrate, urea or potassium chloride as these can cause damage to the concrete surface.
Can I Power Wash My Concrete Driveway In Winter?
Power washing is best avoided in winter as it can damage the concrete and result in freezing temperatures causing further cracking. It’s best to wait until springtime when temperatures are warmer to clean your driveway with a power washer.
With a few simple steps, you can protect your concrete driveway from potential winter damage. It is important to remove snow and ice from your driveway regularly, seal the surface after installation, use safe deicing products, and fill any cracks or divots before winter arrives. For more information, contact Concrete Contractor Lakeside Ca at (619) 678-0052.